Thursday, October 26, 2017

Head study (26.10.17)


Head study (26.10.17)
2017
Oil on linen
50 x 40 cm

Painted from life in 2 hours. The backlit effect isn't strong enough, and the mouth/cheek region is incomplete in terms of form description. Reading Solomon's book on painting, and noticed a few interesting pointers which I overlooked previously. There is actually a step, after painting the middle tones, that you paint the darkest shadows in order to secure the salient passages of the drawing and the higher lights (p.117). I had always thought to put that in at the beginning too, but I guess it makes sense to do it again anyway, as the middle tone lay in would probably have obliterated the initial brush drawing. I must also not be too stiff in sticking to the brush drawing.. although accuracy is sought for right from the start, I must learn to vary the edges in order to show solidity. Sculpt the form through edges!

No comments:

Post a Comment