Sunday, October 1, 2017

Sketch dump Sept 2017 Part 2






Sketchbook pages
2017
Pencil on paper
15 x 21 cm (spread)

I have been very busy with work, but an upside to this is that I am commuting more often for the past month, which means more time for sketching on the train. There are many more sketches done of course, but I've chosen this few which I consider to be better, and shows a change in my approach.

Over the past month, I have been practicing the Bargue "approach" all over again, and it is not so much an approach or method, as much as a way of understanding how relational lines should always be sought for. This is especially useful when drawing subjects that move. It also helps to preserve a certain "line of beauty", which is a kind of organic unity in all living things. Pardon my English, I'm not that good in expressing the idea.

The second thing is tones, or values. I am eliminating unnecessary half-tones. The question I ask myself all the time is, does the form read as Solid, even without the addition of half-tones? If no, it means the distinct shadow line or chiaroscuro isn't sought for carefully. Bad usage of half-tones (in order to enjoin light and shadow) results in "muddy" tones.. rather, the shadow line should be carefully worked so that it blends into the light, but not encroaching on it. If one has a harder pencil at this point, it is possible to do very sensitive rendering in the half-tones. But when sketching under pressure and with speed, it is not always possible to achieve that sort of delicacy, especially when using only 1 sketching type of pencil (usually a softer grade).

No comments:

Post a Comment