Thursday, August 31, 2017

Head study 310817


Portrait study (31.08.17)
2017
Oil on linen
50 x 40 cm

And the comparison with the brush drawing, before painting:


I am trying to work more carefully these days. I think I wasn't rigorous enough with my form/drawing for quite a while. Even if the results turn out more "stiff" or "dead", I have to push myself, and not hide bad drawing behind spurious brushwork. So I'll most likely continue painting like this for a while. It is not exactly a slower method. This was done in about 2 hours from life. Another thing which helped was pre-mixing the colours. I mixed up an approx. 5YR 6/4 and a value 6 grey. There was a burnt umber-ish colour which I grinded up (from pigment/oil) in 2008- 9 years later, the paint was still quite fresh!

No comments:

Post a Comment