Thursday, August 3, 2017

Head study 030817


Head study (03.08.17)
2017
Oil on linen
50 x 40 cm

Painted from life in slightly more than an hour. Self-criticism: The likeness is very off, made the sitter a totally different person. An experienced artist pointed out that the mouth was painted too low, so I adjusted it, but didn't have time to refine the edges. In my impatience to use up my paint, I over-worked the background and clothing, making a sad excuse of a smudge on the canvas. The big form could be improved more, that over-worked cheek definition almost looks like a scar.

Failures aside, my process is becoming more streamlined or methodical. I am trying to restrain my drawing, control the amount of medium on the brush/canvas, and trying to paint more like Bouguereau and less like Van Gogh, if that makes any sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment