Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Head study (messed up with process)


Not a successful study, but as a reminder to myself, that it is often some blunder in the fundamentals which messes up my work. The first 2 pictures above, were painted from life, showing the initial colour block in and some form description. Then the drawing got a little off, and I think the tone of the eye got too light. After about 2 hours, I went home and tried to correct it.. but without any reference, the picture gets further away from reality. I lost the big form too- as you can see in the grayscale version, the distinct shadow line on the far cheek and nose became indistinct, and of too light a tone. I must try not to repeat the same mistakes again. (Painting is 50 x 40 cm, oil on cotton canvas)



No comments:

Post a Comment